JUNE 13, 2020
- John McDonald, NYS Assembly 108th, incumbent 8 years, is primaried by Sam Fein, 2 term Albany County Legislature. John also served 13 years as mayor of Cohoes and is a pharmacist. Legislative focus, climate and challenges of NYS Budget deficient due to COVID-19. https://www.mcdonaldforassembly.com/
- Thearse McCalmon, NYS Senate, 49th, Primary Donovan McRae, incumbent Jim Tedisco. Thearse is not the candidate backed by the democratic party. Her platform focused on diversity and racial justice. https://thearseforsenate.com/
- NEW MEMBERS
Tricia Lasky- Columbia County Votes (CCV). Welcome to Tricia. CCV is a progressive group formed after the election of Trump. Major focus of group is contacting 2nd homeowners to register for voting in Columbia County.
MEMBER ISSUES & UPDATES
- NoVA 4th Annual Women’s Summit June 20-30. https://networknova.org/
- Textbanking Training- Gail R. Support group started by BI to help members training for text banking. The training is a bit involved but once you are proficient, you may find it easier than phone banking. Contact Gail if you are interested in text banking & support group. email@example.com
- Payback Project https://www.paybackproject.org/
- Sign up- new campaign protect the election results https://www.protecttheresults.com/
- GROUP ACTIVISM
- BI/BMVH-Turn’Em Blue at Night June 23, July 7 6pm firstname.lastname@example.org Turn’Em Blue in the Morning June 30 9:30am email@example.com
- PS-Census Phonebanking, Wed. June 17 4:30pm.
https://www.mobilize.us/civilrights/event/278073/ Coordinator: Hillary Medina-Loveless, firstname.lastname@example.org (Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights) AND Joe Biden phone banking, Thursday, June 25, 5pm https://www.mobilize.us/joebiden/event/278186/
- CW-Next meeting, Sunday, June 14,2020 5-7pm.
- CLIMATE/ENVIRONMENT Norlite Update (Attachment)
- DEMOCRACY/INFORMATION INTEGRITY/VOTING/CENSUS
- Voting-Primary early voting has started. Tom Goodfellow statement. (Attachment)
- Voter Suppression-Pressuring Companies to give paid day off on election day. CCRP action? continuing discussion
- Census-See PS event under group activism.
- HEALTHCARE/WOMEN’S RIGHTS Pandemic—Extreme caution during racial justice protests-wear masks, try to maintain distance, don’t shout.
- INCOME INEQUALITY/CRIMINAL JUSTICE/GUN VIOLENCE BLM, CCRP action?
CCRP ELECTION DIRECTION 2020
- Michelle Hinchey Virtual Fundraiser-Marta host, June 22, 2020 7pm. https://secure.actblue.com/donate/hinchey0622
- Joe Seeman Facebook BLM Town Hall with Thearse McCalmon & her daughter, Kini McCalmon https://www.facebook.com/events/578905036163733/
Continued request for phonebankers.
- ENDORSEMENTS Update
- WEBSITE Addition to Candidate list (Attachment)
- Flyer (Attachment)
- Assignments-review (Attachment) Mary will come up with standard descriptive language for the promotional assignments and expectations for campaigns communicating with Jed.
- Extensive list provided by Ellen and Jean. Continuing discussion.
- Press Release to be written by Richard R. (Christine P. assoc. LWV)